Thursday, November 12, 2009

Contentment

I was just reading Charles Swindoll's Insight for Today, about Contentment (insight for today).

This really spoke to me. I am often "afraid" of being content ... I feel that I don't have the right to be, or that something is going to happen (like I'm always bracing for the next "thing").

This thought hit me hard during this past summer, and of course, like always, God brought it to my attention.  It was one of many things that I took away from the Beth Moore Esther Study that I did this summer.  That the enemy doesn't want you to be content. He wants you to worry about the past, worry about the present and worry about the future.  To be truthful, I was caught up in that circle for a long time!  Constant worry.  Constant uneasiness, like I was on the edge at all times.

However, lately I have been making a decisive effort to just BE.  Just BE okay. Not perfect. Not to worry about every minute detail (not only those in my life, but those in other's lives too).  I would have a tendency (and still do at times, b'cs I'm not perfect) to dwell on other people's issues.  If someone told me they were having a problem, I wanted to find a solution for them (even if they didn't want a solution).  Can anyone relate to that?

For those that know me well, you're thinking yea right, Chasity is easing up? ... YES it is true. I am just content with my life. I have come to love Jesus, I love my husband, I love my kids, I love my friends.  I don't completely flip out if the house is not perfectly clean, if my bed is not made and if there are a few (okay 4) baskets of laundry that needs to be folded at any given time.  If someone helps me fold the towels, I no longer go behind them and re-fold them the correct way (my way).  It's just not that important any more.  Yes, I still have some OCD tendencies (toilet paper, going over the roll, not under - and yes, I still on occasion change it at other people's houses).

But these days.  I feel myself being pulled (led?) toward service.  I would much rather serve in aspects of ministries that I truly believe in - than lead a perfect life and just serve myself.

As I was searching for a verse on worry  ... this popped up.  WOW!

Matthew 6:25 (New International Version)

Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?


Does God know me or what?  He just called me out!  Yes, this is one part of my life that I do still worry about (diet, weight, etc) - to the point of obsession at times.  I can honestly say that I have not surrendered this part of my life to God.  I do hope to one day, sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment