Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Surgery

Well, I finally had my surgery yesterday.  The surgical facility was great and the staff super nice.  Got there at 7am and they started taking me back to the OR at 8:30am ... on time!  I'm a little hazy on the details, but I think I was in surgery for 2 hours.  I was so happy that I wasn't sick this time like the last time I had surgery.  The anesthesiologist (aka the candy man) gave me drugs for the sickness and a little patch behind my ear - it all worked!  However, I did wake up in extreme pain.  The nurse gave me percocet, that didn't even help a bit, so then came the demoral, that didn't help ... next was the big gun, morphine!  I don't think I have ever had morphine before, but it either dulled the pain or made me really not care.

However, I have been in constant pain since the surgery even with taking demoral every 3 hours.  My family has been super.  Mitchell, boy scout that he is, set up my ice machine by the couch for my foot.  Sat a table up beside me complete with drinks, pad and pen, my cell and my laptop.  I kept waking up during the night because when the pain killers wore off, the pain was worse.  Mitchell happened to be up at 3:30am too and was trying to find a timer...?  He hooked up a remote to the lamp by the couch.  So I can turn it off and on without getting up.  Is that true love or what?

And my sweet little Gracie has not left my side, she barely gets up enough to go outside to potty and eat.  She loves her mommy!  I have through Monday to continue to lay down, with my foot elevated, icing it every 2 hours.  It is such a process to even get up on the crutches and head to the potty.  I'm worn out by the time I get back to the couch.  But, again Mitchell and my sweet girl have been waiting on me, bringing me drinks and food, on occasion.  I'm so glad that I made arrangements to work from home for the next week.  With this splint and the crutches -- I could not image getting up and about everyday for the office. 

It's times like these that I am so glad I have an awesome family and great friends who have been checking on me.  Just so thankful and blessed.  Thank you God for bringing our blended unit together!


No comments:

Post a Comment