Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dishing It Up Party *Your Summer Reads*

Join in the fun and the party!  Head over to Serenity Now and link on up - leave me a comment if you do as I would love to check out your answers as well.



Here are the questions for this party:

Give us your list of top 5 picks for summer reading.
Top 5.  Yikes.  That is hard to just pick five!  As my TBR stack keeps growing.


(1) Storm Prey by John Sandford ... I have read all of the books in the "Prey" series and LOVE them, (2) Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin ... have also read all of her books and LOVE them, (3) The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood ... new author for me, (4) Spinning Forward by Terri Dulong ... another new author for me, and (5) The Magnificent Obsession by Anne Graham Lotz.
[Side Note:  Anne Graham Lotz spoke at my church a little while back ... she was fantastic.  She says "Je-sus" just like her daddy.  I could have sat and listened to her all day]

What genre of literature makes you want to pick up a book and read (biographies, chick lit, Christian fiction, historical fiction, etc.)?
I do love good Chic Lit books (ck out Jen Lancaster, Sophie Kinsella-all except Twenties Girl-ugh, and Wendy Markham).  I like SOME Christian Fiction (confession time-I still have not finished reading The Shack, I just think it's way over my head).  Historical Fiction, uh not so much.  I LOVE Fictional Knitting books (ck out Maggie Sefton and Kate Jacobs).  Oh, and I almost forgot, Cookbooks.  Yes, I love to just sit and read cookbooks ... that may not translate into my actually USING the recipes, but isn't reading them the next best thing?

What are your favorite magazines?
Southern Living ... why is it that they have the BEST recipes?  Creative Knitting ... humm, are you seeing a theme here?.  Food Network Mag ... it is AWESOME.

If you had to be stuck on a desert island with any fictional character, who would you choose?
Humm.  I saved this one for last.  This is tough.  [cricket sounds]  It could be any of the cool knitting characters from the books:  Friday Night Knitting Club, Knitting Under the Influence or the Maggie Sefton Knitting Murder Mystery Series.

How do you make time to escape into a good book?
Various times.  I read (1) almost every night before turning off the light and going to sleep, (2) while the hubby "watches" [ie naps through] golf, (3) in the car, while waiting - mostly for my daughter.  She's 13, need I say more?, (4) while floating in our pool, listening to the water run over the rocks ... ah, it's the best!

What's your favorite place to get your books?
(1) Half Priced Books (2) Friends, borrowing/trading is always a great option (3) Costco, super great prices (4) Borders Books, as they email out a ton of coupons.

What's next on your "to-read" list?
Mike, Mike & Me; The Nine Month Plan; Hello, It's Me; Bride Needs Groom and a ton more - all by Wendy Markham.  That's just a start as I have 57 current "TBR" books in my Goodreads list.





Also linked up to the Ins and Outs blog hop 

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks so much for linking up. (I didn't like Twenties Girl either) :)

    You have some great books on your list, and some I haven't read before! I actually just finished Heart of the Matter...not my fave, but not bad either. :) Thanks for sharing your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I got your comment through my email. I didn't see your link on the list on my blog, so I added it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...to read while floating in the pool listening to the water over the rocks!?!?! That sounds amazingly wonderful! Although for me I'd still hear lots of squeals and such from my kids (9 and 6 years old)not so relaxing.
    Oh and Southern Living DOES have the best recipes, hands down!
    Stopping by from Amanda's party...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete