Friday, February 18, 2011

The Waiting Room

So, those that know me know that I have "noise issues" (i.e. most noises bug me).  Really - I mean most:  breathing, eating, smacking, swallowing, any noise related to gum, finger picking - well, you get the idea.  I wonder if there is a name for my "condition?"  I'll have to look that up later.  Well, my poor sweet daughter has inherited the same trait.

Yesterday we were in the waiting room at a doctor's office.  It was mid-afternoon and packed (and that is saying a lot as the room was huge).  There are always interesting people it seems in waiting rooms, and of course since the doctor is almost always late, you have plenty of time to people watch.  Well, yesterday was no exception.  Here's who we had in the room:

The heavy breathing sleeper ... we started hearing this noise as we were waiting in line to sign in.  Addison looks over at me like "you've got to be kidding!"  Of course I read this silent message and gave her the look back stating that we must sit as far away from that noise as possible.  I guess the sleeper had been waiting a long time and fell asleep in her chair (I think it was a she, we never could tell from around the corner we were hiding behind) - or it might have been a child - whatever, it WAS annoying!  It sounded like this person was on an oxygen tank or something - it was awful.  We waited 45 minutes to see the doctor and this person slept the entire time.  I mean come on!  Even if it was a child -- the mom should have woken him/her up.

The marmish smacker ... so as we took our seats around the corner, trying to hide from the sleeper, we found two chairs that faced in other.  Let me describe the woman sitting next to Addison -- school marm complete with ankle length ugly dress, brown tights and tassled loafers.  Beside her in the chair was a huge old timey canister - like the kind a sleeve of crackers would fit into.  While reading her book, she slowly, methodically, one by one, reached in and took out some type of little morsel.  She then took the tiny morsel and placed it on her tongue where she moved it around a bit and slightly sucked on it.  I mean really, who takes a canister of snacks to the doctor's office?  Addison texted me her death threats for this woman - it was a good thing she was called back to see the doctor ... whew.

The PJ mom ... in comes a mom with her son.  She does look ragged and tired ... I guess so tired that she decided to wear her PJs out of the house and to the doctor's office.  Nothing was too wrong with her -- at least she was relatively quiet - maybe I was just jealous about her being in jammies while I was not!

So, I know all of this sounds trite and whiny ... but well, okay I can't argue against that.

2 comments:

  1. I got a HUGE laugh out of this, something to cheer me as I'm fighting a nasty headcold!! I'll try to remember not to sniffle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! You are probably annoyed when I pick my fingernails! I do that a lot. Nervous condition or something. I'll try to do better. :) Let me know what "condition" you have. I probably have the same one. :)

    ReplyDelete